Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Founder of San Diego Comic-Con dies at 76

SAN DIEGO, CA (TS) — Sheldon Dorf, who founded the world famous Comic-Con International comic book convention, has died. He was 76.

This is great, I don't even have to fake sadness on this one. A dead geek. This is *Marvel-ous.

*I'll mention right now, I know the trend in these entries is to take references from the dead person's career and turn them into delicious puns, but Marvel is literally the ONLY comic book reference I know, although I may be able to fit "Up and Atom" in here somewhere, but that's not technically related to comic books. So I apologize in advance for a youth obviously wasted focused on interacting with others, getting laid and staying under 300lbs.

Anyway...

Dork, whoops I mean Dorf... that might happen a lot, was a comic strip letterer who founded Comic-Con in San Diego in 1970 after moving from Detroit. He had diabetes and had been hospitalized for about a year before dying... and I highly doubt he'll be brought back in a future issue as some sort of reconstructed uber-powerful nerd. (I admit, I just Wiki'd Superman... I need to get SOME content in here)

My very solid guess is that he is not survived by a wife or any children.

The convention Dor... F (caught myself that time) founded attracts an average of 125,000 people dressed in various versions of "dateless retard" costumes a year.

Look for a new video to sweep the nation called 'Dorf on Death' (thanks again, Zubazz)

Hey I just realized Sheldon is a more worthy name to make fun of then Dorf... dammit, this guy's not worth my time to do a re-write.

Sheldon's last will and testament requested that his body be placed in a sealable Mylar plastic bag with a firm alkali-buffered backer board, and then stored in an acid-free storage box in a cool, dry, dark location. (but he'll probably end up forgotten about and discarded, left to yellow and crinkle and rot somewhere)

Poor Sheldon, there is no more action in that figure. (not that there ever really was)

Love,
Um I mean Up and Atom,
Chris Real

3 comments:

  1. Comic Con isnt JUST about comics. TV, Movies, music. I take offense to this post. I know where you live, i will find you, and i will kill you.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. First death threat!

    It's about Goddamn time.

    AreWeTooSoon? has officially "made it".

    Rawk.

    So... a Lost fan standing up for comic book fans... I guess it's true nerds are very protective of their own kind.

    Come and get me... If you can convince your mom to give you a lift to my place.

    Loser.

    Love,
    Chris Real

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...

    If you're offended by this post, I bet you'll REALLY be offended by this one:

    http://arewetoosoon.blogspot.com/2009/11/maine-rejects-same-sex-marriage.html

    Love,
    Chris Real

    ReplyDelete